Forum » History

The RailSA forum is home to over 675 members and the latest railway and tramway discussion, information, news, and photographs from South Australia and beyond.
FAQRegisterLogin

Rollingstock around South Australia

South Australian railway history discussion.
Sorry drag up yet another old thread.

At present I doing some reasearch on DWF's which still around on farms

reading through this post I know off
Middle Beach
Ross Smith Secondary School
Burnsfield/Redhill
Cavan:-Behind Sport Fishing Scene

4001firstdiesel wrote:There are 16 abandoned wagons between Cook (5 DWFs alone, and an 8300 GB) and Kalgoorlie. I counted them; that's how you pass the time on those long straight sections.

Regards,
Ben

Be interest if remember the DWF's location Ben

any more around be great to know
SAR/CR/ANR/AN Photos from 60's to late 80's, Can be found on Northern Lines Gallery
http://northernlinesgallery.shutterfly.com/

Roundhouse_Rat

Hamley Bridge SA

there are two DWF's sitting on a property on the eastern side of the Mt Barker to Woodchester Road a couple of KM's north of woodchester.

iirc there is another one or possibly two DWF's on the northern side of the road between littlehampton and nairne.

mike

The footplate

Alyx wrote:Adelaide A class-A 28
Gone. See here. My friend's sister said it rotted into the ground, so it had been there a while. H377 is at Bordertown (TDU).
Roundhouse_Rat wrote:Be interest if remember the DWF's locations Ben
Behind houses etc. There's also an 8300 van used as the local tennis club HQ.

A98, not A28 :oops:.

Ben
Last edited by 4001firstdiesel on 09 Oct 2011, 16:01, edited 2 times in total.
LR: the way forward
Sydney needs cashless, integrated transport & tickets
Extend Sydney's Light Rail now!!!!
Return trolleybuses to Sydney
"So I sing a song of love for Julia, Julia, Julia" (#1 Labor)
My posts: my opinion

4001firstdiesel

Circular Quay, waiting for the Light Rail to arrive

Alco251_244 wrote:That AVAY ended up at Sims metal not long after. There is a couple of AVAY's at Pt. Germein on a property and an AVDP on a property at Cummins.

Cheers,

Sure these AVAY's, I think the place talking about is East of Pt Germein and are CR PGA's

Also PGA in a truck yard in Hawker, its PGA 1

PGA1 at Hawker

Been doing few trips around looking at Wagons/Carriages on farm Properties(With Permission from the Farmer),getting a few Photos .
SAR/CR/ANR/AN Photos from 60's to late 80's, Can be found on Northern Lines Gallery

Roundhouse_Rat

Hamley Bridge SA

Back in 1986, a group of us discovered a front bunker of a 300 Class Garrett near Yatina, between Jamestown and Orroroo. The front end had been cut short and plated over and it was being used as a water storage tank next to a windmill. Each time I drive up that way, I have a look out for it, but I can't seem to find it anymore.
Bluebirds Forever!

Morgan Flyer

Adelaide

Still there Morgan Flyer

Also 2 of them, on a farm South Of Peterborough

Roundhouse_Rat

Hamley Bridge SA

Thanks Roundhouse Rat.

When we were there, there was also a large iron tank as well - Looks like it has been replaced with a poly tank.

Back then, while we were there, the Cocky who owned the property came over to us and we had a good ol' chat with him and explained what we were doing. :)
Bluebirds Forever!

Morgan Flyer

Adelaide

Roundhouse_Rat wrote:Going through my old Mans 35mm glossy print photos this afternoon (sorting them out), come across the Dog Box at Peterborough, This roughly goes back 23 years ago, think also the same one what steam town got now

Quality not the greatest sorry(Taken by Digital camera as my scanner wont work on Linux)

This carriage went to house in Peterborough( Diagonally across the road from the Motorcycle museum), the house for sale and heard the dogbox is for sale as well for $1000. it has seen better days though

but roughly in the same location as this photo is a few NG wagons a SFNC flatcar, Y wagon, 2x W Gondola & another Y wagon sitting in the W Gondola.

Also about the 300 class Garratts is 4 of the 5 300 Class Garratts water tenders still around. 3 off them on a farm near Peterborough other one is the photo I put up(I did state 2 but found out to be 3)

Roundhouse_Rat

Hamley Bridge SA

That would be a good one for themuseum to pick up. Cheap too!!!

pafcmachine

From memory it is or was the same type of Dogbox that the NRM already has, but that car at Peterborough has been substantually altered over the years. Not a good example for display though, neither is the NRM's Dogbox at the moment, but most of it is stiil there it just needs a lot of TLC one of these days.

secret agent

With Dee Dee McCall!

Yes, but I just reckon it would be nice to have more than one representative item of rollingstock that was used behind a particular loco. E.g. would be nice to have two or three of them behind the "F" or the "P" to give a realistic representation of a typical train configuration for that time.

Not many of these dog boxes around these days, and they arent making any more of them.

Personally, a far more desirable a get than something like Allambi.

pafcmachine

just correction to my above post on price it $2000 not $1000, the bloke brought it for a $1000 and put it on concrete pad which cost a $1000 as well,so trying to cover cost of the concrete pad.

Sorry for the confusion,but still good price for piece SAR history

Roundhouse_Rat

Hamley Bridge SA

Roundhouse_Rat wrote:Sorry drag up yet another old thread.

Another one for your list: DWF 242 is in someone's front yard just south of Kadina along the Arthurton road. It's in ANR red livery.
NRM member

Snail Rail

pafcmachine wrote:Yes, but I just reckon it would be nice to have more than one representative item of rollingstock that was used behind a particular loco. E.g. would be nice to have two or three of them behind the "F" or the "P" to give a realistic representation of a typical train configuration for that time.

Not many of these dog boxes around these days, and they arent making any more of them.

Personally, a far more desirable a get than something like Allambi.

We only really need one of each type as after a couple like this you would run out of space for other exhibits in the future. One of some things is quite sufficient, and before you have a go about some things we have more than one of, I must admit if it came to the crunch then some of them could go as well, things like FB flatcars for example but at the moment they are use to store things on so they are useful.

The dogbox arch centre and the Cent Baggage would make up a typical type train as some dog boxes had knuckle couplers on both ends of them to be used like this, others had knuckles on end a screw couplers in between them as they all ran as fixed sets most of the time.

secret agent

With Dee Dee McCall!

Snail Rail wrote:
Roundhouse_Rat wrote:Sorry drag up yet another old thread.

Another one for your list: DWF 242 is in someone's front yard just south of Kadina along the Arthurton road. It's in ANR red livery.

Thanks Snail Rail found out about this one shortly after post about them by someone.

but still interest about any wagons laying around on farms

Roundhouse_Rat

Hamley Bridge SA